Rules, Terms, and Conditions
Submissions for our Winter 2020 Issue are open from June 22nd 2020 to November 15, 2020.
Selections will be emailed out throughout November, and critiques (for those who chose them) will be emailed out before the next issue is published.
Submissions must be between 1000 and 3000 words, in English, fully edited and on theme.
If you submit a piece you are attesting that:
- it is your own work,
- you are over 18 and are not legally barred from entering into legal agreements in or receiving funds from the United States of America. Countries that cannot receive funds from the US include but are not limited to those listed on the OFAC website.
-or you are under 18 but are having your legal guardian who is legally able to enter into legal agreements in and receive funds from the United States enter on your behalf. Anyone from anywhere in the world may enter as long as they are legally able to do so.
- no one else has rights to the piece,
- it has never been published before,
- and you will not publish or attempt to publish it elsewhere until our selections are announced.
- Submitters shall indemnify TheGraySisters.com, its parent company, its members, officers, managers, employees and agents from and against any and all losses, claims, demands, causes of action, costs, or expenses of any kind, including attorneys’ fees, accountant fees and expert costs, arising out of any act or omission of Submitters whether such act or omission is committed without knowledge, negligent, willful, or purposeful, including, without limitation breach of contract with third parties and Submitter, submission of material not owned by Submitter, etc.. This indemnity shall continue in full force and effect notwithstanding this Agreement’s termination or expiration. An indemnified party need not seek recovery from any insurer or other third party, or otherwise mitigate its losses and expenses, in order to maintain and recover fully a claim against Submitter under this subparagraph. Submitter agrees that a failure to pursue a recovery or mitigate a loss will not reduce or alter the amounts that an indemnified party may recover from Submitter pursuant to this indemnity provision.
Upon submission you may choose to have your piece critiqued for a $16 fee. If your piece is one of the twelve selected for publication and you chose to have it critiqued, your $16 will be refunded to you, and you will still receive our feedback.
The submissions will be read and evaluated as blindly as possible by our judges.
If your story is selected:
- You will be paid $30 through Paypal for limited rights and license (see full list below) to the story. We will search for your Paypal account using the name, email, and/or phone number provided on the submission form.
- We will publish the piece (credited under your name or your pen name, whichever you have indicated) in our upcoming issue and indefinitely in our archives.
- We may, at any time going forward, publish the piece (credited under your name or pen name, whichever you have indicated) as a part or whole of an anthology, a podcast, an audio book, a video, a live reading, or a crowd funding / Patreon tier award. It may also have additional visuals or audio associated with it in any of these forms, and some editing may be applied to fit in with these various formats for which license is hereby granted without need to seek further permission.
- We will also promote our selected authors with written or recorded interviews.
- We may further promote our selected authors with broadcasts and / or email campaigns of author news and updates.
If your story is not selected, you are not paid, you retain all the rights and may edit and submit it again for future issues if you so choose.
I have read through the rules, terms, and conditions thoroughly and entirely and...
Last updated 06/25/2020